Friday, April 8, 2011

Strawberry Trifle

Tis the season, for strawberries! YUMMO! I can't get enough of these wonderful, beautiful berries! Here is a recipe that I love using these little red gems. I got it years ago from my friend Sharla Wilcox. I have tweaked it a little over the years and think I have finally gotten the perfect sweetness/tartness combination!

You will need the following ingredients: 3 quarts of sliced fresh strawberries
2 packages of strawberry danish dessert *see below
2 Angel food cakes (I like the loaves) cut into cubes
2 16 oz containers of whipped topping
2 cups of sour cream
2 8 0z bars of cream cheese (soften in microwave)
2 cups powdered sugar

Cream together your "white ingredients". Make danish dessert according to package directions. (Not all areas carry danish dessert so if you can't find it, I will have a recipe at the bottom of the post.)
Add strawberries to the dessert. Set aside.

Now, I make this in my largest rectangle Rubbermaid container. I do this when I am feeding lots of people. It doesn't look pretty. If you need to make this for a party or want it to look nice, just 1/2 the recipe and use a glass trifle bowl one that is the same circumference top to bottom. But I have made it in a regular glass bowl and it is just fine!

Start with you cake cubes, place a nice amount of them on the bottom of your bowl. Next you add your red layer, spoon the danish dessert over the cake. Last you add a nice thick layer of your creamy white mixture. Then you repeat 2 or 3 times until your bowl is full.

Let refrigerate at least 4 hours but overnight is best!.

Enjoy! It is such a fun desert to serve at Easter or any springtime event!

Homemade Danish Dessert- this works just fine!
1 cup sugar
1 cup 7-up
4 TBSP. strawberry jello
2 TBSP. cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water

Heat 7-up with sugar stirring constantly. mix together cornstarch and cold water add while stirring to the sugar mixture. Cook until slightly thick. Add jello and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and let sit before adding berries.

Have a wonderful weekend!

XOXO~Mamie


2 comments:

the shakespears said...

yea! homeade Danish Dessert! can't find that anywhere here. Now I can make JR's favorite dessert! Thanks!
Love your blog. You're so cute and talented. One of these days we're going to have to get together! It's been 21 years!
Love ya!
Michelle

Aim said...

Thanks Michelle! I know! I go through Vegas every so often, one of these days I need to look you up! I was just thinking of you this morning, then I got your comment! I am so glad you can use this recipe. I like it almost better than the real deal! Thanks for the comment!
XOXO- Aim